50 Common Medical Terms Abbreviation You Must Know
Fifty Most common Medical Terms Abbreviation and Acronyms You Must Know
A medical term is a word that defines and represents certain terminologies, words, treatment protocols, and medicines that are used by a medical health professional or medical staff. These terms help us to know what sort of medical word or term is representing the medical field.
These terms are commonly used by doctors as it helps them to understand and communicate well when it comes to working in the medical field. Even the hospital management makes use of these terms. There are medical books that are studied by medical students during college life to understand and receive a better knowledge of these words and abbreviations thus they are easily immune to the words and statements when they start working.
The medical science and healthcare field is a complete package of technical terminology. It includes a lot of abbreviations for a medical term, which is used for patient health charts. These abbreviations are also used in writing prescriptions and for communication among medical professionals. The medical abbreviation can be used for medical billing. Therefore, any medical doctor or the one opting for this profession needs to understand the medical terminologies and abbreviations.
These abbreviations can ease the medical work and shorten the communication. These abbreviations can be categorized into general terms, for a prescription for care, for diagnosis or condition, and body description. Here some common medical abbreviations and acronyms are mention below, besides these, there are many more medical terms in this field.
- ACL: Anterior cruciate ligament.
- ADHD: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- ADR: By definition, it causes adverse drug reactions.
- BMI: Also known as Body mass index, as it processes the body fats grounded on the height and weight of the patient.
- BP: It is commonly known as blood pressure.
- BAD: It is a disease of bipolar affective disorder. The patient who suffers from it has a dual personality.
- CBC: It is a test for a complete blood count.
- CPR: This term is commonly used in rescue operations. It is cardiopulmonary resuscitation. It is a life-saving technique. By this technique, you press the chest again and again to revive the respiration of the patient.
- CABG: The person who passed through bypass operation for the heart. It is the abbreviation of the coronary artery bypass graft.
- CAD: It is also a heart disease called coronary artery disease.
- CV: It is also heart disease known as cardiovascular.
- DKA diabetic ketoacidosis.
- DOB date of birth.
- ECG electrocardiogram, electrocardiograph.
- EBL: That is estimated blood loss in the patient.
- ER Emergency Room.
- GLT: it is a test for glucose loading.
- HR: It’s a heart rate means heartbeat per minute.
- HDL: It is for cholesterol measurement, known as high-density lipoprotein. It is considered good cholesterol.
- HBV: This is a virus for hepatitis B.
- LDL: It is low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, it is considered to be bad cholesterol for the patient.
- OR: This term is used for operation rooms where surgeries are carried out.
- PT: It is physical therapy, a type of exercise by which patients feel better to move.
- Biopsy: This is a tissue-sampling test. It is usually taken for cancer confirmation.
- Hypertension: This means low blood pressure.
- LST: It is an uncommon test but important to check the immunodeficiency in the patient.
- NIDDM: It is a diagnostic test called noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.
- MDD: It means maximum daily dose prescribed for a patient by a doctor.
- Q: It is mentioned by a doctor in the prescription for the patient, which means the dose would be4 for every morning.
- Q: This means that the dose will be four times a day.
- KUB: It is a test for kidney disease. This is the abbreviation of Kidney ureter bladder test.
- RX: It is a prescription for medication
- Stat: It means immediately.
- EKG: It is the way to monitor the heart and diagnose the heart problem.
- AFR: This is related to urinal disease. It is acute renal failure.
- AIDS: This is a rare disease that is not common but dangerous called acquired immune deficiency syndrome.
- ARDS: Acute respiratory distress syndrome.
- ARF: Test for kidney performance.
- BKA: Below the knee amputation.
- BPD is referred to as borderline personality disorder in which the person is unable to focus or perform their daily routine work. The person suffering from this personality disorder is unable to put trust in anyone and is unable to control their emotions. They feel and believe that everyone is against their emotions and they are in desire help.
- DCIS: It is one type of breast cancer. It is the abbreviation of ductal carcinoma in situ.
- DDX: Differential diagnosis. The type and stage of cancer are assumed and determined through the use of different technologies that are used for treating cancer patients.
- DNC: This is referred to as dilation and curettage. This is broadening of the cervix and scuffling with a curette to remove the tissue lining that is present over the inner surface of the womb.
- NKA no known allergies. Allergy is known to be a severe or mild immune system answer to a foreign substance or etiological factor. Therefore, these foreign substances that enter and trigger the body are called allergens. They can include certain foods, pollen, or pet dander. The immune system of our body is made to boost up the killing and fighting against harmful foreign substances that hinder the normal living system.
- PIH: Pregnancy-induced hypertension. The blood pressure increased due to the pregnancy.
- Pharm: Phar. or pharmacy is a word that represents a shop where we can find and buy medicines or drugs for legal use. A pharmacist is the one who runs the pharmacy. They are entitled to provide effective means of treating patients with effective and safe medication.
- RDS respiratory distress syndrome. This is a very common lung disease or infection reported in infants and it occurs because the lungs of an infant or baby are not fully developed. More premature the infant, the more likely it is likely to occur. The main cause why this disease occurs is due to insufficient surfactant in the lungs.
- SSS: known as sick sinus syndrome, in this condition, the heart’s natural pacemaker is installed in the most upper-right heart chamber becomes damage.
- SARS severe acute respiratory syndrome
- RA rheumatoid arthritis.