3 Safe Ways To Store Water
Life is, without question, unpredictable. Unwanted natural disasters and emergencies may happen, and these types of occurrences may leave water supply lines and power grids affected. As a result, water may not flow. If it does, it may not be safe for human consumption. This is why having stored emergency water in your house is essential. This is because you don’t need to worry about the water you need for drinking and other activities because you have prepared for these situations.
Also, you can store water for almost six months if it’s prepared and stored correctly. That said, below are safe ways on how you can store water for future purposes:
1. Utilize Water Tanks
Water tanks are undoubtedly one of the best and most effective solutions for storing your water because of their capacity. Large water tanks can hold at least 1,500 gallons of water depending on their size. Also, they’re made of sturdy materials such as steel, fiberglass, plastic, and polyethylene that’ll indeed have a long lifespan.
If you’re interested in getting a water tank, check this to see what type of water tank will suit your needs.
- Above Ground: Above ground water tank is the best option for people prioritizing easy installation and maintenance. Since it’s above the ground, you can easily check if there are damages and repair them without seeking help from professionals.
However, this type of water tank is prone to damages and is easily affected by the weather. For instance, the water can freeze during winter or get extremely hot during summer.
- Below Ground: Unlike above-ground water tanks, underground water tanks don’t need space inside or outside your house because it’s installed below. Also, it’s not exposed to sunlight and weather changes, resulting in fewer damages to your tank.
The downside of this type of tank is that once it gets damaged, the installation and overall costs are more expensive.
- Collapsible Tanks: This type of tank is the best option for people finding temporary water storage. Collapsible tanks are a type of above-ground water tank, but the difference is their storage capacity.
Now that you already know the types of water tanks, you have to ensure that what you purchase is made of high-quality and sturdy materials. Water tanks from The Water Tank Factory, for instance, are made of premium-grade materials and have a wide range of choices available for you.
2. Use Water Barrels
If you don’t have the budget for water tanks, opting for water barrels is a cheaper option while still prioritizing your safety and money’s worth. Water barrels are made of sturdy food-grade plastic, which means this is designed for safe consumption. Additionally, the plastic used to create these barrels doesn’t contain bisphenol A, which is a chemical used to create plastic and resins. Also, it’s UV-resistant, hence there wouldn’t be any discoloration on the surface of the plastic.
Still, there are few disadvantages of using water barrels. First, it takes a lot of space in the room. Second, you still need to purchase a pump and a drinking water hose to fill the barrel, which is another expense.
3. Reuse Regular Water Bottles
The simplest and cheapest way to store water is to reuse the regular water bottles you have at home. This is the best option for people who don’t have enough space to install water tanks or barrels. You can simply refill old water or soda bottles and store them in a cooler box or any storage box that’s placed in a dark and cool place, away from the sunlight.
To reuse old bottles, the first thing you have to do is to ensure that they’re thoroughly cleaned. Each bottle should be sanitized before usage because, according to the Food and Drug Administration, reusing plastic water bottles without cleaning them with hot soapy water can cause bacterial growth.
What Makes A Safe Water Storage?
Storing water is essential, but you still need to keep in mind that the water storage you’ll use affects your water quality. Using containers that aren’t designed as water storage may cause contamination. Thus, here are some of the characteristics that make good water storage:
- Suitable water conditioners should only have a small opening with a cover to prevent the users from contaminating the water.
- As much as possible, there should be a spigot for safe and easy access to the water.
- The size should be appropriate for all the members of the family. There should be half a gallon of water allotted for everyone.
- The container should have a stable base to prevent it from spilling.
- It should be durable and strong.
To sum up, there are several safe ways on how you can store water for future purposes. You don’t need to risk your health for contaminated water every time there’s an interruption in water supply lines because you’re already prepared for these situations. That said, start using water tanks, water barrels, and plastic bottles when storing your water supply.